Purchasing a first home is an exciting milestone in any person’s life. For some, the process may also seem very intimidating. That’s why our representatives are available 24/7 to help guide homebuyers and answer any questions they may have. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call toll-free at 1-855-258-3548 or start your quote online.
How Much Home Can I Afford?
Typically, the first question would-be homebuyers ask themselves is, “What can I afford?” There are many factors that determine what a reasonable mortgage payment should be for an individual, including annual income, existing debt payments, down payment (if any), as well as additional costs like homeowners insurance and housing association fees. Veterans United provides a handy VA Loan Payment Calculator to help homebuyers find a monthly payment that’s comfortable for them.
What Type of Loan Should I Get?
There are many financing options available for homebuyers out there, each with their own unique advantages. For most veteran and active duty military members, we at Veterans United highly recommend the federally-backed VA Loan due to its distinct benefits over traditional loans.
Advantages of a VA Loan:
- No Down Payment Necessary.Homebuyers will usually need at least a 5 percent down payment for conventional loans or a 3.5 percent down payment for FHA financing. On a $200,000 loan, that’s $10,000 for conventional borrowers and $7,000 for FHA. For many first-time homebuyers, coming up with that kind of cash up can be challenging. Being able to purchase with $0 down means VA borrowers don’t have to spend years saving to scrape together a big down payment.
- Less Stringent Qualifications.Many first-time homebuyers might not yet have a strong credit history, which can make it more difficult to get approval for a mortgage or qualify for an affordable interest rate. Since the VA Loan is government-backed, VA Loans are easier to qualify for at competitive rates.
- Lower Monthly Payments.Since VA Loans don’t require the added monthly expense of private mortgage insurance (PMI), they tend to leave more money in your pocket each month. In addition, the competitive VA Loan rates can save a typical buyer thousands over the lifespan of the loan.
Have questions? Speak with a trusted VA-lending specialist »
In addition to the VA Loan, Veterans United Home Loans is proud to offer several other financing options for homebuyers; including USDA loans, FHA loans, and traditional mortgages.
The first step toward securing your loan is getting preapproved. This involves a prequalification process, where a loan officer assesses the homebuyer’s financial situation and determines what they qualify for, and is followed by the homebuyer submitting a completed loan application to the lender for approval. Veterans United offers two ways to begin this process: You may either call us directly at 1-855-258-3548, or answer a few questions below to start your preapproval online.
- Select your branch of service:
- Marine Corps
- Air Force
- Coast Guard
- Military Spouse
- Other VA Eligibility
- No Military Experience
- Select your branch of service:
Finding a Real Estate Agent
When using a VA Loan, it’s important to find a real estate agent that not only knows the intricacies of the VA Benefit Program, but also understands the specific needs of veterans and active duty military members. Veterans United has put together a nationwide network of military-friendly real estate agents for just this purpose.
- The Guide to VA Homebuying
Browse our VA homebuyer education and resources page.
- VA Home Loan Mortgage Payment Calculator
This free VA Home Loan calculator gives you a snapshot of what your monthly payments could be with a VA Loan.
- VA Loan Glossary
Use our glossary to reference any unfamiliar terms or acronyms.
As a first-time homebuyer, you have many options when it comes to purchasing your home – including homes in high-cost areas. Learn about VA jumbo loans in our next section.